08 November 2011

Tuesday Treat: Six-Layer Bar Cookies

I can't promise that this will be a weekly thing (as I said in my last post, it's midterm, term paper, and oh, so much more time at school) BUT I've decided that I do want to post recipes sometimes, at the least.

These are very easy to personalize and I do suggest you do so. I used butterscotch chips, you can use white chocolate chips. I used almonds, you can use pecans, walnuts, cashews, whatever. If you want to chuck something else on these that you think would be delicious, go for it (I think craisins might be nice)! They don't have to be six layers, they can be 7, 12, or really however many can fit in your pan. I do, however, suggest putting something melty evenly throughout (chocolate chips, for example) to hold it together. I also chose to put the almonds on top so they'd brown a little and look pretty and taste extra yummy!

They cut pretty nicely but they are very messy! If you have any questions, ask away!


6-Layer Bar Cookies
(Adapted from an Eagle Brand recipe)

Ingredients:
1 and 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted (that's one stick)
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 and 1/2 cups sweetened, flaked coconut
1 bag butterscotch-flavored chips
1 cup chopped or slivered almonds
Similar amounts of anything else you'd like (optional)

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (or 325 if you're using glass)
2. Combine graham cracker crumbs and butter and press into the bottom of a 13 by 9 pan (I lined mine with foil so they'd be easier to take out)
3. Pour condensed milk evenly over the crumbs and butter
4. Pour chocolate chips evenly over mixture in pan. Repeat with coconut, butterscotch chips, and almonds (and whatever other ingredients you're using).
5. Press down gently (I just buttered my hands and pressed down that way but you can use a fork if you'd like).
6. Bake 25 minutes. If you did put nuts on top and they're not browned, you can keep them in or stick them under a broiler for a few minutes (watch closely!) until they are.
7. Enjoy! I like them with a big glass of milk!
8. Store leftovers in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thank you for commenting! I truly do look forward to reading it (: