17 January 2012

SOPA and PIPA and Congress

As many sites (including Wikipedia) black out today, I just wanted to point something out.
(And I don't know if anyone will read it but I do feel a need to say it.)

On the 24th of January Congress will be voting on SOPA and PIPA and many of them are in favour of it, as are most big media companies.  The majority of Americans, however, are opposed to it in its current form.
Congress' current approval rating is around 11% -- the lowest it's ever been. (You know those "9 out of 10 dentists recommend ____" commercials? That tenth dentist is the one who approves of what Congress is doing, I think.)

Isn't Congress supposed to be representing the people?  So...not just those who are giving money?
They better watch themselves. We (as a nation) have been grumpy this year.

This is where I would like to say something about the 99% and the Occupy movement but their current lack of publicity is making it difficult for me to get a certain stance on their thoughts, so I'll refrain.  But keep in mind all of their fervour and what they were fighting for as well.

For more information, check out the text of the bills at the Library of Congress (SOPA and PIPA) and Strike against SOPA for more on the protest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thank you for commenting! I truly do look forward to reading it (: